U.S. condemns assassination attempt on Guinean president

08:49, July 21, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

The U.S. State Department on Wednesday strongly condemned early Tuesday's assassination attempt on Guinean President Alpha Conde, who survived a rocket attack on his residence.

Conde, who was inaugurated in Dec. 2010 as Guinea's first democratically elected president since independence in 1958, has been working to "establish the foundations of democratic institutions and practice," the State Department said in a statement.

The statement said the violent acts undermined "democracy and the rule of law" and "threaten the stability of the region."

The U.S. called on the Guineans to remain committed to the " principles of democracy and to express disagreements through peaceful means."

Guinea's former army chief Nouhou Thiam was reportedly arrested following Tuesday's attack, which was suspected to have been carried out by some disgruntled soldiers at 3:00 a.m local time and lasted more than an hour.

The pre-dawn attack put to test the West African country, which is scrambling with the shadow of coups since independence from France in 1958.

Conde, 73, was elected late last year to end a long-standing crisis triggered by a military coup, following the death of the West African country's President Lansana Conte in December 2008.

Source: Xinhua
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:燕勐)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Greek PM meets European Commission president in Brussels
  • Flood continues in many parts of India
  • Hillary Clinton says U.S. bets on building strong relationship with India
  • Summer military training toughens up students
  • Cameron names investigation panel on phone hacking scandal
  • Chinese president pledges further political, economic ties with Cameroon
Hot Forum Discussion