Colombian army expects to make contact soon with kidnappers of Chinese

12:33, June 14, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

The Colombian Army on Monday said it expects to establish contact in the next few days with the group of kidnappers suspected to be responsible for holding four Chinese citizens who were captured last week in southern Caqueta province.

"We are in a state of offensive and because of this pressure there has not been contact, but for sure one of these next days we will be able to establish contact," Colombia's National Army Commander Alejandro Navas said at a press conference.

A reward worth 35,000 U.S. dollars for information leading to the kidnappers have been offered by the government.

On June 8, the four Chinese citizens, three engineers and their translator, were kidnapped by unidentified armed men believed to be members of the illegal Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia ( FACR) guerrilla group.

Colombian authorities say a division of the FARC known as the " Teofilo Forero column" are responsible for the kidnapping, which is part of operations to expand territorial control.

The four Chinese were working for the Emerald company, an affiliate of China's state-owned Sinochem in Colombia, and were visiting exploration projects in the region when they were forced out of their vehicle on a remote highway and marched into the jungle.

Source: Xinhua
 
 
     
 
 
 
     
 
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:燕勐)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Xi Jinping visits Italy, Cuba, Uruguay, Chile
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Colorful Mood Exhibition of Chinese Artist Wang Yishi held at Czech Embassy in Beijing
  • Rain adds to watermelon growers' sales woes
  • Chinese vice premier meets former British PM Gordon Brown
  • Chinese, Kazakh presidents hold talks on partnership
  • Kim Jong Il meets senior Chinese official
  • Hot Air Balloon Challenge held in Haikou
Hot Forum Discussion