Mullen says U.S. committed to 2011 drawdown in Afghanistan

09:05, November 29, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

The United States is "very committed" to begin troops drawdown in Afghanistan in July 2011, but large number of soldiers will remain, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen said on a televised interview broadcast Sunday.

"We will start drawing down troops next July," Mullen told CNN' s news program GPS, stressing any drawdown will be based on conditions on the ground and via a recommendation from commanders on the ground.

"We're very committed to beginning the drawdown," Mullen said. "But there will continue to be a large number of U.S. and allied troops on the ground in Afghanistan after July 2011."

Mullen said it is too soon to know the number of troops and locations the drawdown will affect.

In ordering the deployment of 30,000 new troops to Afghanistan, U.S. President Barack Obama late last year set July 2011 as the time to begin the drawdown. The newly deployed troops didn't make much progress in Afghanistan. A Pentagon report submitted to Congress last week found progress across Afghanistan "uneven," with only modest gains in security, governance and development in key areas.

NATO, which heads the mission in Afghanistan, has set 2014 as a goal to complete the security handover to Afghan forces.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:张茜)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Chinese Navy soldiers hold an evening party marking the upcoming 62nd National Day aboard Chinese Navy hospital ship "Peace Ark" in the Pacific on Sept. 28, 2011. The Chinese National Day falls on Oct. 1. (Xinhua/Zha Chunming)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 30, 2011 shows the crowd at the plaza of Beijing Railway Station in Beijing, capital of China. The railway transportation witnessed a travel peak with the approach of the seven-day National Day holidays on Friday. (Xinhua)
  • A man wearing high-heel shoes takes part in the 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event when men literally walk in women's shoes to raise awareness about ending violence against women, at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows a cargo ship in danger on the sea near Zhuhai City, south China's Guangdong Province. Cargo ship Fangzhou 6 of Qingzhou of southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region lost control after water stormed into its cabin due to Typhoon Nesat on the sea near Zhuhai Thursday, leaving 12 crew members in danger. Rescuers rushed to the ship and saved them by using a helicopter. (Xinhua)
  • Actress Gong Li poses for L'Officiel Magazine. (Xinhua Photo)
  • Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street campaign hold placards as they march in the financial district of New York September 29, 2011. After hundreds of protesters were denied access to some areas outside the New York Stock Exchange on September 17, demonstrators set up a rag-tag camp three blocks away. Zuccotti Park is a campground festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. The group is adding complaints of excessive police force against protesters and police treatment of ethnic minorities and Muslims to its grievances list, which includes bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Hot Forum Discussion