Many Colombians support court's block of military pact with U.S.

16:37, August 19, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Many Colombians Wednesday voiced their support of the Constitutional Court's ruling that said a controversial Colombia-U.S. military agreement was "unconstitutional."

The court Tuesday ruled that the agreement, which grants U.S. troops access to more Colombian military bases, was "unconstitutional," and ordered the Colombian Congress to review it.

Colombian Navy Commander Alvaro Echandia said he respected the decision made by the court.

"I am absolutely respectful, and I can't do anything but respect the law," he said. "So far we haven't enforced anything related to the new agreement, and the Navy hasn't built anything requested by the new agreement."

Meanwhile, Luis Guillermo Perez from the NGO Group of Attorneys argued the agreement was detrimental to the country and wouldn't benefit Colombians.

Perez said the public hadn't been informed enough of the agreement, which allows foreign troops on their soil.

Perez, together with some other lawyers, filed a lawsuit in the Constitutional Court last November, advocating that the agreement should be ratified by the Congress.

However, then President Alvaro Uribe said that would be unnecessary, adding he was just extending an earlier accord.

The Constitutional Court Tuesday ruled the agreement was a new one and wasn't the extension of an already existing one, so it should be subject to congressional review and approval.

The agreement, which was signed in 2009, authorized the presence of 1,400 U.S. troops in Colombian military bases.

It also triggered much controversy in other countries in the region, especially in Venezuela and Ecuador, which called the agreement a threat to regional peace and stability.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:张茜)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Staff members watch a screen showing the blast-off of the Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center, Sept. 29, 2011. Commander-in-chief of China's manned space program Chang Wanquan announced Thursday night that the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module was successful. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)
  • Chinese President Hu Jintao watches the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center in Beijing, capital of China, Sept. 29, 2011. Other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, including Wu Bangguo, Jia Qinglin, Li Changchun, Xi Jinping, Li Keqiang and Zhou Yongkang, are also present. (Xinhua/Rao Aimin)
  • The graphics shows the launch procedures of the carrier rocket of Tiangong-1 space lab module, Long March-2FT1 on Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Lu Zhe)
  • Image taken from Beijing Aerospace Control Center shows a Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasting off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua)
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
Hot Forum Discussion