Text Version
RSS Feeds
Newsletter
Home Forum Photos Features Newsletter Archive Employment
About US Help Site Map
SEARCH   About US FAQ Site Map Site News
  SERVICES
  -Text Version
  -RSS Feeds
  -Newsletter
  -News Archive
  -Give us feedback
  -Voices of Readers
  -Online community
  -China Biz info
  What's new
 -
 -
Canadian man sentenced 14 years for bomb plot in Toronto
+ -
11:23, September 04, 2009

 Related News
 PM says Canadians don't want election now
 Election talks resurface as Canadian parliament waits to resume
 Canadian court maintains gov't decision allowing U.S. seismic blasts in protected waters
 Canadian B.C. province gets over 100 new wildfires daily
 Canadian newspaper apologizes for PM wafer report
 Comment  Tell A Friend
 Print Format  Save Article
A 23-year-old Canadian man was sentenced 14 years in prison Thursday for his part in a bomb plot in 2006 to attack downtown Toronto in protest of Canada's mission in Afghanistan.

Saad Khalid is a member of the so-called "Toronto 18," a group of terror suspects who plotted a conspiracy two years ago to bomb such sites as the Toronto Stock Exchange, the headquarters of Canada's intelligence agency and a military base.

Police busted the plot after receiving a clue from an informant. Khalid was arrested June 2, 2006 as he and an alleged accomplice unloaded what they thought was more than a tonne of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, an explosive agent. Sixteen other suspects in the Toronto area were arrested on the same day.

Each of the accused was charged with terrorism-related offenses. However, charges against seven of the accused were later stayed.

In May, an unidentified 20-year-old man was sentenced to a 30- month jail term in connection with the case. He became the first person to be convicted under the Anti-Terrorism Act that Ottawa passed after the September 11, 2001 attacks in the U.S.. Khalid was the second.

During his trial in Brampton, Ontario, Khalid pleaded guilty tonne count of participating in a terror plot with the intention of causing an explosion. He is the only suspect in the case to plead guilty so far.

On Thursday Ontario Superior Court Justice Bruce Durno said he accepted Khalid was not the leader of the group but his degree of responsibility "remains fairly high." However he credited Khalid with seven years for time already served in prison, leaving him only another seven years to stay jailed.

Khalid moved to Canada from Pakistan when he was 8. He said his group's act was not out of hate for Canada but to force Canada to withdraw troops from Afghanistan.

The bomb plot shocked Canadians, who saw this as the first time that local terrorists were found in the country.

The trials of other suspects in the case will begin next year.

Source: Xinhua



  Your Message:   Most Commented:
Being African among the curious Chinese
Australia's permission for Rebiya's visit chills bilateral ties
Three Beijingers jailed in US. Spies again?
Why India is pursuing military strength?
What is beyond the physical Line?

|About Peopledaily.com.cn | Advertise on site | Contact us | Site map | Job offer|
Copyright by People's Daily Online, All Rights Reserved

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90852/6748519.pdf