Head of S Korea's Marine Corps offers to resign over shooting spree

13:33, July 14, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

South Korea's chief marine commander has expressed his intent to step down to shoulder responsibility for the recent shooting rampage by a marine, local media reported Thursday.

Yoo Nak-jun, head of the Marine Corps, offered to resign in a meeting with Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin earlier this week, according to Yonhap News Agency.

The resignation offer came after a 19-year-old marine corporal killed four marines and another in a shooting spree earlier this month on an island base west of Seoul.

Investigators have said Kim suffered psychological problems and had been classified as one in need of special attention due to his behavioral problems.

Yoo told Kim that he is "doing his best" to handle the aftermath of the deadly incident and bring changes to the hierarchical culture of the Marine Corps, according to Yonhap.

It is yet to be known whether the defense minister will accept the resignation offer.

Source:Xinhua
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:刘晓宁)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • World-class ocarina virtuosos to play in Beijing
  • Japanese PM foresees nuclear-free nation, no mention of stepping down
  • Bangladesh main opposition stages mass anti-gov't strike
  • Pakistani PM expresses concern for US aid cuts
  • Christina Aguilera promotes perfume collection in Munich
  • Brain &Beast collection at Barcelona 080 fashion show
Hot Forum Discussion