S Kyrgyzstan "fully prepared" before ethnic clashes anniversary

08:13, June 10, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Kyrgyz law enforcement and security agencies had been cleared to use weapons if the upcoming first anniversary of unrest in the country's south sparked violence, an official told a press conference Thursday.

"Law enforcement and security bodies engaged in maintaining law and order in Osh and Jalalabad have been authorized to use firearms without a special sanction from Bishkek in case of any disorder or clashes," first deputy of interior minister Bakyt Alymbekov said. He is also the head of the joint staff of law enforcement and security forces stationed in Osh.

To guarantee security of Osh residents and prevent extremist groups from entering the city in the run-up to the anniversary on June 10, 15 checkpoints have been installed in the city, 12 of them permanent and three in place only at night, including the area around the central city market, where clashes between ethnic Kyrgyz and Uzbek young people were especially bloody and violent last year, Alymbekov said.

The joint staff has also opened a round-the-clock telephone hotline, through which people could report any unlawful actions or disturbances.
【1】 【2】



Source: Xinhua
 
 
     
 
 
 
     
 
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:石希)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • China battles droughts
  • Wen Jiabao attends trilateral leaders' meeting of China, Japan and ROK
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Dancers of Cuban ballet group perform "Viola" in Doha, capital of Qatar
  • People visit 2nd edition of Bucharest Classic Car Show 2011 in Bucharest
  • Government vows to provide better life for people with disabilities
  • U.S. Washington State attorney general announces race for governor
  • 25th Hong kong International Travel Expo kicks off
  • Ukraine marks one-year countdown to Euro 2012
Hot Forum Discussion