Indonesian police probe identity, motive of suicide bomber

16:42, April 16, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

An Indonesian senior police officer said Saturday that they are still in dark about the motive and identity of the suicide bomber that detonated the bomb inside a mosque in West Java's Cirebon police office on Friday, Antara news service reported.

"The identity and motive of the bomber are not yet known, and it is not yet confirmed whether the perpetrator is one of those on the List of Wanted People," West Java Police spokesman Agus Rianto said in Bandung, the capital city of West Java province.

He said the West Java police were still waiting for the result of an identification process being conducted by the National Police Headquarters.

The body of the suspected bomber has been brought to the Kramat Jati Police Hospital in East Jakarta.

He said it was the first time that West Java Province was hit by a suicide bomb, and it was also for the first time that a police office complex became the target.

A joint team of the National Police Headquarters, Densus-88 anti-terror Special Detachment, the West Java Police and Cirebon police is still investigating the case thoroughly.

The West Java Police have also intensified security in all police offices and facilities following the suicide bombing in Cirebon.

The data from Pelabuhan Hospital in Cirebon showed that the number of people injured in the suicide bomb attack at a police station's mosque in Cirebon, West Java, on Friday has risen to 28.

One man was killed in the bomb attack. He was believed to have detonated the bomb during Friday prayers at the mosque.

Among the injured were chief of the Cirebon city police Adj Snr Comr Herukoco, chief of the traffic unit Adj Comr Kurnia, chief of the intelligence unit Adj Comr Singgih and preacher Abas.

The blast was so powerful that it also injured a woman outside the mosque. Most of the victims sustained injuries caused by nails which the bomb had contained and were flung around when it exploded.

"This blast disturbs security very much. After this explosion I will be more cautious wherever I go, particularly when I go to mosque and other crowded places," Nani Nuraini, a 54-year-old housewife, told Xinhua in front of the local police headquarters.

"The security must be boosted, particularly in mosques, shopping centers and markets where blast may take place," she said.

Indonesia has suffered a series of major terrorist attacks since 2000, including Bali bombings in 2002 and 2005, luxurious hotel JW Marriot explosion in 2003, killing over 270 people in total.

Source: Xinhua

  Weekly review  


  • Do you have anything to say?


Special Coverage
  • BRICS Leaders' Meeting 2011
  • Focus On China
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Mainz crashes Moenchengladbach 1-0
  • Discussions ongoing at Boao Forum
  • Emmy Award winner Bill Geist honored on Hollywood Walk of Fame
  • Coachella Valley Music &Arts Festival opens
  • Tsurenko beats Rodionova at Fed Cup
  • Nadal reaches Monte Carlo Masters' semi-final
Hot Forum Dicussion