Militants swept out in northern Afghan province: official

20:49, January 30, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Continued military pressure in northern Kunduz province of Afghanistan has led to the wiping out of Taliban insurgents and the strengthening of government control there, provincial police chief Abdul Rahman Syedkhili said Sunday.

"Our intense pressure against Taliban over the past one week has forced the insurgents either to surrender or be killed and that was why 160 rebels have laid down arms and resumed normal life," Syedkhili told journalists at a press conference here.

He also stated that 30 more foreign Taliban fighters had fled away to the neighboring Baghlan and Takhar provinces.

"At the moment all the former Taliban strongholds including Chardara, Imam Sahib, Gortipa, Qalai Zal and Dasht-e-Archi districts in Kunduz are safe and secure," the police added, saying the military operation will continue until Taliban rebels are cleared out."

Taliban militants have yet to make comment.

Kunduz, 250 km north of capital Kabul and the neighboring Baghlan and Takhar provinces, has been experiencing Taliban-linked insurgency over the one year.

However, security bodies have intensified pressure on Taliban fighters in the mentioned provinces since November 2010 and so far over 300 insurgents, according to officials, have laid down arms and resumed normal life.

Source: Xinhua
  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Focus On China
  • Shanghai World Expo 2010
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Djokovic wins Australian Open men's single title
  • Navy escort team holds anti-hijacking exercise
  • Train collision kills 10 in Germany
  • Worldwide celebration of Chinese Lunar New Year
  • Cast members of film "Flypaper" attend premiere in Sundance
  • Film "Son of No One" makes debut at Sundance Film Festival
Most Popular
Hot Forum Dicussion