U.S. backs Afghan plan of dissolving private security firms: ambassador

08:47, October 28, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

The U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan Karl W. Eikenberry here on Wednesday said that his country backs the Afghan government's plan of dissolving of all private security firms.

"The U.S. has always been in full support with Afghan presidential decree number 62 and want to say our commitment," the top U.S. diplomat responded to Xinhua's query in a joint press conference with Afghan Interior Minister Besmillah Mohammadi.

"I have traveled across the country with Minister Mohammadi on this matter," said the U.S. ambassador, adding, "and we have had fundamental questions 'Why have private security company during this kind of work when Afghan National Police need to be further developed and Afghan National Army has more requirements."

"I tell you as an ambassador personally with my experience in Afghanistan, 100 percent support to this process, our government has 100 percent support to President Karzai's decree," he emphasized.

The Afghan interior minister in the same press conference said that the security firms involving in development projects could run their activities but the decision would be made in three months whether to ban those firms as well.

Mohammadi said that a joint panel concerned for the process has investigated 54 companies, out of which, 26 had been dissolved and over 2,200 various kinds of weapons have been sized.

"The deadline for the remaining firms is Nov. 17," the Afghan minister stated.

President Hamid Karzai in mid August this year expressed concern over the activities of private security companies and called for their banning.

Dozens of private security firms are active in Afghanistan and most of them provide escort for NATO-led troops' logistic convoys and guards for foreign agencies' offices based in Afghanistan.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:张茜)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Chinese Navy soldiers hold an evening party marking the upcoming 62nd National Day aboard Chinese Navy hospital ship "Peace Ark" in the Pacific on Sept. 28, 2011. The Chinese National Day falls on Oct. 1. (Xinhua/Zha Chunming)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 30, 2011 shows the crowd at the plaza of Beijing Railway Station in Beijing, capital of China. The railway transportation witnessed a travel peak with the approach of the seven-day National Day holidays on Friday. (Xinhua)
  • A man wearing high-heel shoes takes part in the 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event when men literally walk in women's shoes to raise awareness about ending violence against women, at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows a cargo ship in danger on the sea near Zhuhai City, south China's Guangdong Province. Cargo ship Fangzhou 6 of Qingzhou of southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region lost control after water stormed into its cabin due to Typhoon Nesat on the sea near Zhuhai Thursday, leaving 12 crew members in danger. Rescuers rushed to the ship and saved them by using a helicopter. (Xinhua)
  • Actress Gong Li poses for L'Officiel Magazine. (Xinhua Photo)
  • Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street campaign hold placards as they march in the financial district of New York September 29, 2011. After hundreds of protesters were denied access to some areas outside the New York Stock Exchange on September 17, demonstrators set up a rag-tag camp three blocks away. Zuccotti Park is a campground festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. The group is adding complaints of excessive police force against protesters and police treatment of ethnic minorities and Muslims to its grievances list, which includes bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Hot Forum Discussion