Net overseas migration slows in Australia: official data

15:44, September 29, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Net overseas migration in Australia continued its downward movement to the end of March 2010, according to data released on Wednesday by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

ABS data showed the preliminary net overseas migration estimate (61,800 people) for the March quarter 2010 was 37 percent lower than the historical high recorded for March quarter 2009 (98,100 people).

Australia's population reached 22,272,000 by the end of March 2010, with an increase of 403,100 people over the year.

Net overseas migration accounted for 60 percent of this growth, with the remaining 40 percent due to natural increase (births minus deaths).

The population growth rate was 1.8 percent, down from its peak of 2.2 percent in March 2009.

Over the past decade, natural increase has added between 0.6 and 0.7 percent each year to the population.

By contrast, net overseas migration has boosted the population as little as 0.5 percent and as much as 1.5 percent, with that high point reached over the year to March 2009.

Over the year to this March, the addition from net immigration was 1.1 percent.

More recent estimates of overseas arrivals and departures suggest the slowdown continued into the second half of the year.

Net long-term arrivals totalled 269,000 over the year to March, but only 230,000 over the year to July, the latest figures showed.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:张茜)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Chinese Navy soldiers hold an evening party marking the upcoming 62nd National Day aboard Chinese Navy hospital ship "Peace Ark" in the Pacific on Sept. 28, 2011. The Chinese National Day falls on Oct. 1. (Xinhua/Zha Chunming)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 30, 2011 shows the crowd at the plaza of Beijing Railway Station in Beijing, capital of China. The railway transportation witnessed a travel peak with the approach of the seven-day National Day holidays on Friday. (Xinhua)
  • A man wearing high-heel shoes takes part in the 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event when men literally walk in women's shoes to raise awareness about ending violence against women, at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows a cargo ship in danger on the sea near Zhuhai City, south China's Guangdong Province. Cargo ship Fangzhou 6 of Qingzhou of southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region lost control after water stormed into its cabin due to Typhoon Nesat on the sea near Zhuhai Thursday, leaving 12 crew members in danger. Rescuers rushed to the ship and saved them by using a helicopter. (Xinhua)
  • Actress Gong Li poses for L'Officiel Magazine. (Xinhua Photo)
  • Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street campaign hold placards as they march in the financial district of New York September 29, 2011. After hundreds of protesters were denied access to some areas outside the New York Stock Exchange on September 17, demonstrators set up a rag-tag camp three blocks away. Zuccotti Park is a campground festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. The group is adding complaints of excessive police force against protesters and police treatment of ethnic minorities and Muslims to its grievances list, which includes bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)
Hot Forum Discussion