Income distribution challenge to Malaysian new economic model

19:50, August 18, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Achieving equitable distribution of income among Malaysians irrespective of race is deemed the biggest challenge the Malaysian government faces when attaining the goals of the new economic model (NEM).

The Associated Chinese Chambers of Commerce and Industry of Malaysia (ACCCIM) made this remark in its survey report on economic situation of Malaysia for the first half of 2010 released here on Wednesday.

According to the report, 60 percent of the respondents chose the "not possible" category for the NEM's goal of equitable distribution of income, whereas the remaining 40 percent replied under the "maybe" and "possible" categories.

The main goals of the NEM include breaking through to high income status targeting 15,000 U.S. dollars per capita by 2020, as well as enabling all communities to benefit from the country's wealth.

However, local media reported that there were quarters, claiming to be representatives of bumiputeras, a Malay term embracing indigenous people of the Malay Archipelago, had rejected the implementation of NEM.

In 1971, the Malaysian government implemented the 30-year new economic policy (NEP) with the aim to reduce the socioeconomic disparity among races in the country.

While rejecting the NEM, some organizations have asked for the NEP to be continued as the majority bumiputeras are still poor, compared to other races in the country.

One of its goals was to achieve a 30 percent share of the economy for the Bumiputeras but at the end of the implementation period, the Malaysian government said the NEP had not achieved its goal.

The ACCCIM report said that 61 percent of the respondents had thought that the NEM would not benefit their businesses.

"Although the NEM is still at its infancy stage, it appears that the Malaysian government still has an enormous task at hand to clearly communicate and convince the business sector that the goals of NEM will benefit the people and businesses," said the report.

The ACCCIM represents more than 28,000 Chinese businessmen and trade associations in Malaysia.

As most of the prominent Chinese businessmen are the committee members of the ACCCIM, they can be taken to represent the Chinese business community in the country.

The total questionnaires sent were 670, while 44.2 percent or 296 questionnaires were returned.

Source:Xinhua

(Editor:梁军)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Staff members watch a screen showing the blast-off of the Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center, Sept. 29, 2011. Commander-in-chief of China's manned space program Chang Wanquan announced Thursday night that the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module was successful. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)
  • Chinese President Hu Jintao watches the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center in Beijing, capital of China, Sept. 29, 2011. Other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, including Wu Bangguo, Jia Qinglin, Li Changchun, Xi Jinping, Li Keqiang and Zhou Yongkang, are also present. (Xinhua/Rao Aimin)
  • The graphics shows the launch procedures of the carrier rocket of Tiangong-1 space lab module, Long March-2FT1 on Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Lu Zhe)
  • Image taken from Beijing Aerospace Control Center shows a Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasting off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua)
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
Hot Forum Discussion