Massacre suspect arrested in S. Philippines

10:21, August 01, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

A suspect of the private army of a Muslim clan involved in last year's worst massacre in the Philippine history that left at least 57 people dead, including 30 journalists, was wounded in a clash and arrested on Saturday.

The suspect, Edris Casan, was injured following a gun battle with armed men around 4:00 p.m. in Datu Hoffer, a bailiwick township of Ampatuan clan in the southern Province of Maguindanao, said provincial police director Marcelo Pintac.

Pintac said Casan was later brought by his relatives at the hospital in nearby Shariff Aguak town where he was arrested by police.

"He used separate name at the hospital but he was passively identified by our informant that he was among those involved in the massacre," Pintac said.

"As of now the suspect is under hospital arrest due to his wounds at his left butt," he added.

The Philippine military earlier said other suspects in the Nov. 23 massacre are hiding within Shariff Aguak town but they are highly mobile.

Of the 196 people implicated in the mass killings, 62 of them have already been detained.

The 134 other suspects, 96 of them civilian volunteer organization members, 23 from the clan of Ampatuan and allies, 12 policemen, and four government soldiers, remain at large.

Former Maguindanao governor Andal Ampatuan Sr., his son, former Datu Unsay Mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr., his other son, Zaldy Ampatuan, the former governor of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, have been jailed while being tried for the massacre.

Source: Xinhua

(Editor:祁澍文)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Staff members watch a screen showing the blast-off of the Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center, Sept. 29, 2011. Commander-in-chief of China's manned space program Chang Wanquan announced Thursday night that the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module was successful. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)
  • Chinese President Hu Jintao watches the launch of Tiangong-1 space lab module at Beijing Aerospace Control Center in Beijing, capital of China, Sept. 29, 2011. Other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, including Wu Bangguo, Jia Qinglin, Li Changchun, Xi Jinping, Li Keqiang and Zhou Yongkang, are also present. (Xinhua/Rao Aimin)
  • The graphics shows the launch procedures of the carrier rocket of Tiangong-1 space lab module, Long March-2FT1 on Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Lu Zhe)
  • Image taken from Beijing Aerospace Control Center shows a Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasting off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua)
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
Hot Forum Discussion