Death toll of Typhoon Conson climbs to 53 in Philippines

14:12, July 17, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

The official death toll from Typhoon Conson rose to 53, mostly in the worst-hit Southern Tagalog region of north Philippines, National Disaster Coordinating Council said Saturday.

Retired major general Benito Ramos, the NDCC executive officer and concurrent Office of Civil Defense administrator, said the number of missing had also increased to 85 and the number of injured so far recorded is 29.

The death toll is broken down into 27 in Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon provinces; 17 in Central Luzon; and nine in Region Bicol Region.

A total of 45,470 families or 225,495 persons were recorded to have been affected. Of the number, 1,096 families or 5,395 persons are housed in evacuation centers where they are served by concerned relief workers.

Initial estimate on the damage incurred by the agriculture and infrastructure sectors is now at 114.6 million pesos (2.48 million U.S. dollars). The figure does not include the 25,477 houses destroyed or damaged by Conson.

Source:Xinhua

(Editor:梁军)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Image taken from Beijing Aerospace Control Center shows a Long March-2FT1 carrier rocket loaded with Tiangong-1 unmanned space lab module blasting off from the launch pad at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China's Gansu Province, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua)
  • On Sept. 28, tourists travel around the Mingshashan Scenic Area in Dunhuang, Gansu province by camel. With the National Day vacation right around the corner, more and more tourists from home and abroad are going to Dunhuang. Riding on a camel, they travel in the desert to enjoy the cities rare form of natural scenery. (Xinhua/Zhang Weixian)
  • Chinese forest armed forces work together with forest firefighters on Sept. 28. (Xinhua/Chai Liren)
  • Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows strong wind blows trees in Sanya, south China's Hainan Province. Typhoon Nesat heads towards south China and is moving at an average wind speed of 20 km per hour toward the west coast of China's Guangdong Province. (Xinhua/Hou Jiansen)
  • A fallen tree is seen on a road in Qionghai, south China's Hainan Province, Sept. 29, 2011. Typhoon Nesat was predicted to land in Hainan later Thursday, bringing heavy rainfalls to the island. (Xinhua/Meng Zhongde)
  • Arash Kamalvand (L) of Iran spikes the ball during the semifinal against South Korea at the 16th Asian Men's Volleyball Championship in Tehran, Iran, Sept. 28, 2011. Iran won 3-1 to advance to the final. (Xinhua/Ahmad Halabisaz)
Hot Forum Discussion