Taliban claims shooting down NATO chopper in S Afghanistan

14:18, March 29, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Taliban militants fighting Afghan and NATO-led troops have claimed responsibility for shooting down a NATO helicopter that crashed in Afghanistan's southern Zabul province on Monday morning.

Qari Yusuf Ahmadi, who claims to speak for Taliban outfit, in talks with media via telephone from undisclosed said that militants shot down a helicopter of NATO forces in Adghar district of Zabul province Monday morning.

NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in a press release confirmed the crash of its helicopter, saying, "An ISAF helicopter crashed today in Zabul province in southern Afghanistan."

The press release also noted that there were no fatalities in the incident, and all personnel on board have been evacuated to nearby ISAF medical treatment facilities.

In the press release, the NATO-led ISAF forces also ruled out the involvement of hostile fire in the chopper crash, adding there are no indications that it was caused by insurgent action.

However, Deputy to Zabul provincial police chief Ghulam Jilani Khan Farahi told Xinhua that a helicopter crashed in Adghar district Monday morning due to technical problems but caused no loss of life.

This was the third NATO chopper crashed in Afghanistan over the past one week. Previously two helicopters crashed in Wardak and Kunduz provinces respectively.

Source: Xinhua
  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Exhibition gala at ISU World Figure Skating Championships
  • Obama visits troops in Afghanistan
  • Germany wins World Women's Curling Championships
  • Holy Week begins in Honduras
  • Nadal defeats David Nalbandian at Sony Ericsson Open
  • Turandot premieres in Taiwan
Most Popular
Hot Forum Dicussion