No sigh of immediate resumption of six-party talks: S. Korean envoy

08:57, February 25, 2010      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

There is no sign that the stalled six-party talks aimed at denuclearization of the Democratic People 's Republic of Korea (DPRK) will resume immediately, South Korea's chief nuclear envoy Wi Sung-lac on Wednesday said.

Wi made the remark as he wrapped up a two-day trip to Beijing where he met with Wu Dawei, China's special representative for Korean Peninsula affairs, for talks on ways to bring Pyongyang back to the multilateral talks, according to local media.

Wi said the DPRK has shown some signs of improvement in its stance compared with last year, however, as for when the multilateral talks will resume, "We will have to wait and see," Yonhap reported.

But in general, the DPRK's stance on the six-party talks '' seemed to be the same as before,'' Wi added.

The related countries engaged in the six-party talks are making efforts to resume the negotiations and the denuclearization process, Wi said, citing bilateral efforts between China and the DPRK, South Korea and China, China and the United States, and South Korea and the United States.

"We hope such efforts will come to bear fruit," Wi added.

The six-party talks, launched in 2003 but stalled last April, involve the DPRK, the ROK, China, Japan, Russia and the United States.

Source: Xinhua
  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Modelling? Not easy!
  • Those awkward things!
  • Toyota chief apologizes and vows to cooperate with regulators for massive recall
  • Child models strike a pose
  • Clinton threatens to impose sanctions on Iran soon
  • Senior leader urges prosecutors to better serve people, safeguard social justice
Most Popular
Hot Forum Dicussion