Singapore to bar over 28,000 people from casinos

10:52, December 17, 2009      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Singapore's National Council on Problem Gambling will send letters to over 28,000 people in Singapore, barring them from the two upcoming casinos, local media reported on Wednesday.

The majority are undischarged bankrupts while the rest are recipients of public financial assistance, local TV broadcaster Channel NewsAsia said.

The report said that Singapore is the first country in the world to automatically bar such cases from the gaming tables. The council said the exclusion orders are meant to protect those in a financially precarious situation.

The orders were issued by the council, but it is the casinos who will have to enforce the rule and if they don't, they may lose its license or be fined up to 1 million Singapore dollars (about 0.7 million U.S. dollars).

Both casinos said they are working closely with the Casino Regulatory Authority to ensure no one slips through. Marina Bay Sands said checks will be made at the door when customers pay entry fees.

Problem gamblers may also seek to exclude themselves from the casinos and in the one month since applications were opened, 56 have done so. Applications may also be made by family members, and so far, 19 exclusion orders have been issued.

Singapore's two casinos at the two Integrated Resorts, Marina Bay Sands and Resorts World Sentosa, will begin operations next year.

Source: Xinhua
  • Do you have anything to say?
Special Coverage
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Chinese premier arrives in Copenhagen for climate change conference
  • U.A.E. Pavilion of Shanghai Expo finishes base building
  • Number of motor vehicles in Beijing to exceed 4 mln
  • Protestors: change politics, not climate
  • Lampard penalty gives Chelsea victory
  • Barcelona defeats Atlante to reach final of World Club Championship
Most Popular
Hot Forum Dicussion