Text Version
RSS Feeds
Newsletter
Home Forum Photos Features Newsletter Archive Employment
About US Help Site Map
SEARCH   About US FAQ Site Map Site News
  SERVICES
  -Text Version
  -RSS Feeds
  -Newsletter
  -News Archive
  -Give us feedback
  -Voices of Readers
  -Online community
  -China Biz info
  What's new
 -
 -
U.S. probes into death of American serviceman in S Philippines
+ -
15:32, September 29, 2009

 Related News
 Death toll from "Ondoy" reaches to 240 in Philippines
 Philippines to review food supply to help typhoon Ondoy victims
 Philippine president warns unscrupulous traders against price manipulation
 Philippine stocks close lower after strike of deadly storm
 Philippines urges developed countries to cut greenhouse gases
 Comment  Tell A Friend
 Print Format  Save Article
The U.S. government is currently investigating the death of an American serviceman, who was killed on Tuesday in a landmine explosion in Indanan, Sulu, a stronghold of extremist Muslim militants in Southern Philippines.

U.S. Embassy spokesperson Rebecca Thompson declined to give details when sought for reaction.

"We're investigating the incident," Thompson said in a text message.

Three Filipino soldiers, who were on board an American Hummer jeep with the U.S. serviceman, were also injured.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, the military said.

The presence of American troops in Mindanao since 2002 has fanned speculations that they are involved in combat operations against Al-Qaida-linked terrorists in Mindanao like the Abu Sayyaf, which is on the U.S. government's list of the foreign terrorist organizations.

A New York Times report last month revealed that at least 600 American troops under the Joint Special Operations Task Force-Philippines (JSOTF-P), headquartered in the Philippine military camp in Camp Navarro in Zamboanga City, have remained in the country and have been using the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) as a means to stay.

The report has instigated calls in the Philippine Senate for the termination of the VFA.

Last week, the government announced that it will conduct a review of the controversial 10-year-old visiting forces pact with Washington, which will be the basis for its decision on whether or not to terminate the accord.

An inter-agency and multi-disciplinary study group will conduct the review "as soon as possible."

The reviewing panel, the government said, would come up with recommendations that will be the basis for a renegotiation of the accord.

Source: Xinhua



  Your Message:   Most Commented:
Indian media stinks up public opinions
Which country has the most beautiful women?
World's top ten most mysterious and horrible spots
How do India's middle school textbooks portray China?
China denies entering other countries' airspace

|About Peopledaily.com.cn | Advertise on site | Contact us | Site map | Job offer|
Copyright by People's Daily Online, All Rights Reserved

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90851/6772932.pdf