On Wednesday morning, an Indonesian military cargo plane crashed in East Java province, killing 98 people. Following are some of the deadliest military and commercial airline crashes in Indonesia in recent years:
- May 20, 2009: A C-130 Hercules military plane carrying troops and their families crashes in Magetan, East Java province, killing98 people.
- April 6, 2009: A Fokker 27 military aircraft slams into an airport hangar in the city of Bandung, West Java, killing 24.
- March 7, 2007: A Boeing 737 jet operated by national airline Garuda shoots off a runway and erupts in flames in Yogyakarta, killing 21 people.
- Jan. 1, 2007: A plane belonging to budget airline Adam Air plunges into the sea off Sulawesi island in stormy weather, killing all 102 on board.
- Sept. 5, 2005: A Mandala Airlines Boeing 737-200 crashes shortly after takeoff from Medan, North Sumatra, killing at least 145.