Text Version
RSS Feeds
Newsletter
Home Forum Photos Features Newsletter Archive Employment
About US Help Site Map
SEARCH   About US FAQ Site Map Site News
  SERVICES
  -Text Version
  -RSS Feeds
  -Newsletter
  -News Archive
  -Give us feedback
  -Voices of Readers
  -Online community
  -China Biz info
  What's new
 -
 -
Indonesia acts to prevent rabies outbreak in Bali
+ -
20:26, December 23, 2008

 Related News
 Bali bombers to file fresh appeal
 Thousands of torches lit to mark anniversary of Bali bombing
 Bali conference calls U.S. to ratify toxic treaty
 Bali bomber in death row to take second wife
 Bali bombers in death row refuse to seek pardon
 Comment  Tell A Friend
 Print Format  Save Article
Indonesian authorities have culled over 300 dogs and vaccinated some 3,000 others in Bali islands, as an effort to prevent an outbreak of rabies in the island, Antara news agency said here Tuesday.

Speaking at a media workshop in Bali, the lecturer of the Veterinary Faculty of the University of Udayana at the island I Gusti Ngurah Mahardika said that two people have died and seven others have been infected with rabies after being bitten by stray dogs in the island.

The lecturer said that the effort preventing the spread of the disease was carried out simultaneously in the island center of Indonesian tourism industry, especially in Badung district, where the cases take place.

Over 200,000 foreign tourists come to Bali per month, according to the statistic agency.

Mahardika said that 90 percent of the dog population in the district were vaccinated and the remaining 10 percent were eliminated.

The lecturer estimated that Bali Island had about 530,000 dogs, or 6.5 percent of the island's total population of 3.5 million people.

The Australian embassy recently informed that the Australian government supported Indonesia in addressing the rabies outbreak in the holiday island resort of Bali.

Source: Xinhua



  Your Message:   Most Commented:
China postpones summit with EU due to French leader's planned meeting with Dalai Lama 
China lodges strong protest to France over Dalai Lama meeting
Behind scene of "Bush shoes attack"
Russia, Venezuela to hold joint naval maneuvers
Robert Pattinson likes mad, mental, strong women

|About Peopledaily.com.cn | Advertise on site | Contact us | Site map | Job offer|
Copyright by People's Daily Online, All Rights Reserved

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90851/6560542.pdf