U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Thursday that Pakistan and India had both given responsible statements and no military action was on the cards in both countries.
"I found the Pakistani leadership very focused and committed," she told reporters after talks with Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and senior army officials.
"I do want to thank you for the leadership role that you have taken," she told Zardari.
The top U.S. diplomat flew into Islamabad from New Delhi to defuse tensions between India and Pakistan after New Delhi blamed elements in Pakistan for last week's attacks in India's commercial hub of Mumbai.
In her press briefing before departure at the Chaklala airbase on the outskirts of Islamabad, Rice said that she appreciated Pakistan's offer of cooperation in the Mumbai attack probe, saying that Pakistan was committed for war on terror.
She said that Zardari was determined never to allow the Pakistani territory for terrorism and that the United States would assist Pakistan in war on terror.
She said that action should be taken against those who are responsible for the Mumbai terror to stop further attacks.
Rice's one-day visit to Islamabad is aimed at reducing tension between Pakistan and India over the attacks in Mumbai.
Indian officials have blamed the Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Taiba(LeT) for the Mumbai attacks that have spoiled relations between the two countries.
Besides seeking "strong action" against "elements from Pakistan" linked to the attacks, India has asked Pakistan to hand over 20 most wanted men, including LeT founder Hafiz Mohammed Saeed.
Pakistan has offered to conduct a joint investigation into the attacks. But Zardari said Wednesday that the suspects wanted by India in the attacks on Mumbai would be tried in Pakistan if there was concrete evidence against them.