60th Miss World Beauty Pageant finals open in Sanya
Girls sign their name on the board. (Source: Xinhua /Zheng Weina)
Girls attending the finals for the 60th Miss World Beauty Pageant visited the beautiful city of Sanya in Hainan Province, Oct.10, according to the website of Sanya Government.
After the glamorous Miss Universe 2010 pageant, which saw Miss Mexico Jimena Navarrete win the coveted title, all eyes now move to the next big beauty pageant — the 2010 Miss World pageant.
Miss World is the longest running event of its kind. Launched in 1951, it has become the world's most watched annual event, with a worldwide viewing audience of over 1 billion.
Miss World is a celebration of beauty, fashion, talent and culture as contestants tour the host country supporting charitable causes, participating in spectacular events and sampling the local history and attractions.
The venue for this year's pageant was scheduled to be in Vietnam, but due to differences with the organizers, Vietnam withdrew from hosting the event, which led to China becoming this year's Miss World host.
- Chinese Navy soldiers hold an evening party marking the upcoming 62nd National Day aboard Chinese Navy hospital ship "Peace Ark" in the Pacific on Sept. 28, 2011. The Chinese National Day falls on Oct. 1. (Xinhua/Zha Chunming)
- Photo taken on Sept. 30, 2011 shows the crowd at the plaza of Beijing Railway Station in Beijing, capital of China. The railway transportation witnessed a travel peak with the approach of the seven-day National Day holidays on Friday. (Xinhua)
- A man wearing high-heel shoes takes part in the 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event when men literally walk in women's shoes to raise awareness about ending violence against women, at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng)
- Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows a cargo ship in danger on the sea near Zhuhai City, south China's Guangdong Province. Cargo ship Fangzhou 6 of Qingzhou of southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region lost control after water stormed into its cabin due to Typhoon Nesat on the sea near Zhuhai Thursday, leaving 12 crew members in danger. Rescuers rushed to the ship and saved them by using a helicopter. (Xinhua)
- Actress Gong Li poses for L'Officiel Magazine. (Xinhua Photo)
- Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street campaign hold placards as they march in the financial district of New York September 29, 2011. After hundreds of protesters were denied access to some areas outside the New York Stock Exchange on September 17, demonstrators set up a rag-tag camp three blocks away. Zuccotti Park is a campground festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. The group is adding complaints of excessive police force against protesters and police treatment of ethnic minorities and Muslims to its grievances list, which includes bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)