Nitrite blamed for food poisoning in SW China

14:04, July 27, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Nitrite has been blamed for Friday's food poisoning incident in Guizhou Province that killed a five-year-old girl and sickened 72, local authorities said Tuesday.

Shop owners Wang Xianxin and Wang Yan have been arrested after mistakenly selling nitrite thinking it was sugar to a cook in the city of Anshun, the city government said in a statement.

The cook used the nitrite to season dishes for a dinner in Wangzhuang Village, Anshun, on Friday, it said.

A total of 73 dinner guests were admitted to five hospitals that night after showing symptoms of food poisoning. The girl died after treatment failed. Thirty-one victims are still in hospital.

Source: Xinhua
 
 
  Weekly review  
 
 
 
     
 
 

(Editor:燕勐)

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Premier Wen Jiabao visits Hungary, Britain, Germany
  • From drought to floods
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • Miranda Kerr's sexy new shoot
  • Greek taxi drivers protest in front of parliament building in Athens
  • Heavy downpour floods part of India
  • Kelly Osbourne attends Winehouse's funeral
  • Chinese farmer devoted to traditional skill
  • Barcelona edges Internacional on penalties
Hot Forum Discussion