24 hospitalized after eating mushrooms in southwest China

08:38, May 17, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

Twenty-four people were still in hospital three days after they were sickened by suspected food poisoning in southwest China's Yunnan Province, a local health official said Monday.

The incident occurred in Jinji Village, Longyang District, in the city of Baoshan on Friday after more than 240 people attended a banquet held by a villager to celebrate his child's birthday, said Su Shaode, deputy director of the district's health bureau.

A total of 115 people subsequently showed symptoms of fever, diarrhea and aching and were later admitted to local hospitals, Su said, adding that no deaths were reported.

The incident is under investigation, though an initial probe has suggested that mushrooms served at the banquet might be blamed for the poisoning.

BRICS Leaders Meeting 2011
Japan in aftershocks
  Weekly review  
May 12   No winners in U.S. hi-tech export controls
May 12   China should view livelihood issues from strategic perspective
May 11   Syria will not be another Libya
May 06   Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway to launch 10-day trial run
May 14   The week in pictures
May 11   2000-year-old wine unearthed in Henan province
May 11   Scientist: China plans to build lunar research base
May 09   Apple employee, customer reach settlement after Beijing iPad brawl
May 12   Wenchuan Reconstruction: 'Chinese miracle' impresses world
May 12   No winners in U.S. hi-tech export controls


  • Do you have anything to say?


Special Coverage
  • 3rd Anniversary Of Wenchuan Earthquake
  • Third China-U.S. Strategic and Economic Dialogue
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • WHO opens 64th World Health Assembly in Geneva
  • Gharrafa beat Lekhwiya at Emir Cup
  • Sacred mountain and lake in SW China's Tibet
  • HKCU confers honorary fellowship
  • 7th China Int'l Culture Industry Fair concludes in Shenzhen
  • Gharrafa beat Lekhwiya at Emir Cup
Hot Forum Dicussion