Report: China holds middle ranking for modernization

16:31, January 17, 2011      

Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments | Forum 

China ranked 60th in terms of its level of modernization out of 131 countries in the world in 2011, which means its modernization was 40 percent of the level of developed countries, according to a report from the Chinese Academy of Sciences on Jan. 16.

The report evaluated the modernization index in China's 34 provincial-level administrative regions nationwide and compared it to 131 countries across the world. In 2008, China ranked 69th among the 131 countries after it completed 89 percent of its first modernization goal.

In the past 300 years, more than 20 countries with a combined population of 1 billion have achieved modernization, according to the report. In the 21st century, more than 3 billion people are expected to realize modernization in emerging developing countries, including China and India.

The report analyzed the probability of a country making the transition from a developing country to a developed countries. Over a period of about 50 years, there is a 5 percent probability for a developing country to upgrade to a developed country. There was a 90 percent probability for a developed country to maintain its development level, while the probability that a developed country would downgrade to a developing country was 10 percent.

The report suggested it is necessary for China to commit to a comprehensive development mode to speed up transition to the second modernization as a developed country since China is currently still in the mature period of the first modernization.

In human history, the first modernization means the shift from agricultural civilization to industrial civilization and the change from traditional society to a modern social order. The second modernization means the shift from an industrial civilization to a knowledge-based civilization and the change from a material civilization to an ecological civilization.

By Li Mu, People's Daily Online

(Editor:李牧(实习))

  • Do you have anything to say?

双语词典
dictionary

  
Special Coverage
  • Survey for 2011 NPC and CPPCC Sessions
  • Focus On China
Major headlines
Editor's Pick
  • NBA: New York Knicks upset Toronto Raptors 131-118
  • Grammy winner Ricky Martin promotes 'Music + Soul + Sex' tour in Mexico
  • Amazing Body Worlds &Cycle of Life exhibition fascinates visitors in NY
  • France, UN set out conditions for Gbagbo's departure
  • Ulanqab sees seasonal swarm of swans
  • Fewer than 400 Nanjing Massacre survivors still alive
Hot Forum Dicussion