Couple tomb of Northern Song Dynasty discovered in Jiangxia
On Oct. 20, archaeological personnel discovered a husband and wife couple tomb of the Northern Song Dynasty in Jiangxia.
On Oct. 20, archaeological personnel discovered a husband and wife couple tomb of the Northern Song Dynasty in Changshan village, Jinkou Street, Jiangxia, Hubei Province. More than 20 pieces of unearthed artifacts, such as stone inkstone, pottery, porcelain bowls, Lohan likenesses, silver hairpins, bronze mirrors and bronze coins, according to the Jiangxia Administrative Office of Cultural Relics
According to reports, the archaeologists fund that the roof of the tomb has been damaged. The human skeletons and coffins have rotted inside. After inspection, they found the tomb is a husband and wife couple tomb 3.5 meters in length and 1.2 meters high. The unearthed cultural relics provide important practical information for researching residents’ beliefs and funeral customs in the Northern Song Dynasty.
By Yan Meng, People's Daily Online
- Chinese Navy soldiers hold an evening party marking the upcoming 62nd National Day aboard Chinese Navy hospital ship "Peace Ark" in the Pacific on Sept. 28, 2011. The Chinese National Day falls on Oct. 1. (Xinhua/Zha Chunming)
- Photo taken on Sept. 30, 2011 shows the crowd at the plaza of Beijing Railway Station in Beijing, capital of China. The railway transportation witnessed a travel peak with the approach of the seven-day National Day holidays on Friday. (Xinhua)
- A man wearing high-heel shoes takes part in the 3rd annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, an event when men literally walk in women's shoes to raise awareness about ending violence against women, at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto, Canada, Sept. 29, 2011. (Xinhua/Zou Zheng)
- Photo taken on Sept. 29, 2011 shows a cargo ship in danger on the sea near Zhuhai City, south China's Guangdong Province. Cargo ship Fangzhou 6 of Qingzhou of southwest China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region lost control after water stormed into its cabin due to Typhoon Nesat on the sea near Zhuhai Thursday, leaving 12 crew members in danger. Rescuers rushed to the ship and saved them by using a helicopter. (Xinhua)
- Actress Gong Li poses for L'Officiel Magazine. (Xinhua Photo)
- Demonstrators from the Occupy Wall Street campaign hold placards as they march in the financial district of New York September 29, 2011. After hundreds of protesters were denied access to some areas outside the New York Stock Exchange on September 17, demonstrators set up a rag-tag camp three blocks away. Zuccotti Park is a campground festooned with placards and anti-Wall Street slogans. The group is adding complaints of excessive police force against protesters and police treatment of ethnic minorities and Muslims to its grievances list, which includes bank bailouts, foreclosures and high unemployment. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)