The only survivor of a school dormitory carbon monoxide poisoning accident, which killed 11 in northwest China, is recovering, said doctors.
"She can eat and drink by herself now," said Zhang Shaoxiong, vice president of the Dingbian County Hospital where the girl received treatment.
"She can also walk with the help of others and write in her diary. But as her nerve system was damaged by suffocation, it willtake time for a full recovery," he said.
The 11-year-old girl, Cai Maomao, suffered carbon monoxide poisoning with 11 other fourth-graders when they were using a charcoal heater to warm their dorm room on the night of Dec. 1 and early morning of Dec. 2. in the Duiziliang Middle School in Dingbian County, Shaanxi Province.
Eleven of her classmates died in the hospital. Only Cai, whose heartbeat stopped four times on the way to hospital, survived. Sheregained consciousness on Thursday after a 10-day coma.
An initial investigation showed the accident was caused after the stove backed up. A small piece of burning coal then ignited other pieces of coal stored beside the stove. As it smoldered, the students were poisoned by gases.
Police haven't been able to confirm their theory with Cai because of her condition.
Jia Feng, deputy head of Dingbian County, was removed from the standing committee of the Dingbian county committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) shortly after the accident. Mao Xin,Dingbian Education Bureau director, was also fired.
Police detained Zhao Binghong, head of the school, as well as Han Huilong, the school's deputy head and Song Xiaoyan, a teacher in charge of class business.
The family of each deceased student was given 200,000 yuan (29,050 U.S. dollars) in compensation, according to the publicity office of Dingbian County.