Text Version
RSS Feeds
Newsletter
Home Forum Photos Features Newsletter Archive Employment
About US Help Site Map
SEARCH   About US FAQ Site Map Site News
  SERVICES
  -Text Version
  -RSS Feeds
  -Newsletter
  -News Archive
  -Give us feedback
  -Voices of Readers
  -Online community
  -China Biz info
  What's new
 -
 -
Macao, Sichuan reach consensus over 17 reconstruction projects
+ -
18:19, August 18, 2008

 Related News
 Flood crest of China's Huaihe River exceeds danger mark
 Colliery gas explosion traps 24 in NE China
 Shanghai Center main building will reach 632 meters
 Chang'e-1 avoids moon eclipse, loses contact, resumes
 Beijing inbound tourism in July down 30.2 percent
 Related Channel News
· 8.0 Richter scale earthquake hits SW China
 Comment  Tell A Friend
 Print Format  Save Article
China's Macao Special Administration Region (SAR) government Monday announced that it has reached a consensus with China's Sichuan provincial government over the initial 17 reconstruction projects in the quake-hit province.

The SAR government said in a press statement that these 17 projects include the rebuilding of Sichuan peasants' dwellings, infrastructure, education, health and social community facilities, etc. which is worth 1.166 billion yuan (167 million U.S. dollars).

On Aug. 16, a Macao official delegation, headed by the SAR's Secretary for Social Affairs and Culture Chui Sai On, flew to Sichuan to which discuss the coordination of the SAR's funding of the reconstruction projects. The delegation of 17 members returned to Macao on Monday.

Based on the opinions of the Sichuan provincial government, and the current situation of the peasants' living conditions in the province after the earthquake, the SAR government decided to give priority to the rebuilding of these peasant's dwellings, according to the statement.

The statement quoted Chui as saying that the SAR government will actively participate in the preparation works of these projects and work closely with relevant departments in Sichuan, making sure that every project conforms to the national standard and regulations.

Previously, the SAR's Chief Executive Ho Hau Wah announced that his government will spend 5.5 billion patacas (688 million U. S. dollars) in the next three to five years funding the rebuilding of quake-stricken Sichuan.

Chui emphasized that all of the projects will be open to public bidding and their costs will be paid on an installment basis, and the two sides will jointly supervise these projects, so as to ensure the projects safety quality and the funds be used properly.

As for the two sides' tourism cooperation, Chui said that the two governments have made a number of agreements, including inviting officials of Sichuan's tourism authorities to advertise its products here and establishing bilateral tourist service platform.

To support the SAR government's move to help Sichuan rejuvenate its tourism, local flagship airline, Air Macao, resumed its direct flight service to Chengdu, capital of Sichuan, on Aug. 16 as a measure to help boost visitor arrivals to Sichuan. The airline also said that it will operate three flights to Chengdu starting from September this year.

Source: Xinhua



  Your Message:   Most Commented:
U.S. congressman opposes House resolution on China 
Tiny singer wins heart of nation
Two suspected terrorists identified in W China's Xinjiang
To foreign friends: Experience the real China
French president: Beijing Olympics to achieve success of wo…

|About Peopledaily.com.cn | Advertise on site | Contact us | Site map | Job offer|
Copyright by People's Daily Online, All Rights Reserved

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90776/90882/6479329.pdf