The death toll from the May 12 earthquake in southwest China's Sichuan Province has claimed 62,664 lives and left 358,816 injured and 23,775 missing as of 00:00 a.m. Sunday, according to the State Council Information Office.
Guo Weimin, director of the State Council Information Office, announced the latest official statistics concerning the Wenchuan quake on behalf of the State Council General Headquarters for Earthquake Relief, at Sunday's press conference here.
As of 00:00 a.m. Sunday, 638,305 people had been rescued and evacuated to safety by the military and civilians, said Guo, citing figures from the Chinese People's Liberation Army headquarters.
Also as of that time, 82,907 people had been hospitalized, with 51,826 having been discharged and 3,515 dying, according to the Ministry of Health reports.
Sichuan Province has sent 5,149 people injured in the quake to other provinces for medical treatment, the official said.
As of 2:00 p.m. Sunday, Guo said, governments at all levels have allocated a total of 15.14 billion yuan for relief work, including 11 billion from the central government.
So far, the government has sent 463,140 tents, 2.42 million covers, 3.44 million garments, 390,000 tons of fuel and 800,000 tons of coal to the affected areas, according to the official.
As of 00:00 a.m. Sunday, only Beichuan County, Sichuan, was still without electricity; power had been partly restored to 12 other seriously affected counties. Meanwhile, 62 of 109 townships that had local telecommunications cut off by the earthquake have regained both mobile and land-line phone services, Guo said.