China's work safety watchdog reaffirmed on Saturday that there was no cover-up in the deaths of workers in the Olympic construction projects, thus dismissing foreign media reports on the hidden figure by the authority.
The State Administration of Work Safety (SAWS) said six construction workers died while building venues for the Games, Huang Yi, a SAWS spokesperson, said at a news conference held by the administration.
Last week, Britain's Sunday Times newspaper alleged more than 10workers had died in accidents in a rush to complete the 90,000-seat National Stadium for the August Olympiad.
SAWS Head Li Yizhong attached great importance to the claim. He said he welcomed public scrutiny and ordered the Beijing work safety authorities to launch an investigation at the press conference held on Jan 22.
Six people were confirmed dead after falling from high heights in six accidents. The figure was found accurate after a Beijing working safety authority probe, Huang told reporters.
"There is still uncertainty in the work safety situation in some regions and industries. We also have many weaknesses and loopholes in our work," Li acknowledged.