DPRK wins 1-0 over Hong Kong to enter 2008 East Asian Championship

UPDATED: 09:01, June 25, 2007

Mun In-Guk scored a long-range kick in the 82th minute to help the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) beat Hong Kong, China 1-0 Sunday and booked a berth to the Asian Football Championship in 2008.

After a 0-0 draw in the first half, Mun made the shot from the left side of the net to score the only goal during the 90-minute game.

Except the loss, Lee Kin-Wo, the headcoach of the Hong Kong team, expressed his satisfactory over the players.

"DPRK is a strong team in Asia and it is a rare opportunity for Hong Kong to play with them. I think the players learned a lot from this match," said Lee.

"We lost one goal in the game because we didn't imagine that after a hard 80-minute game, the DPRK players could still make such a powerful shot," he added.

With the victory, DPRK won the title of the Asian Championship preliminary competitions and will go to Chong Qing, China to take part in the tournament in February 2008, where it will face the Asian traditional triangle, China, Japan and South Korea.

"The Hong Kong team has improved a lot since we met a year ago, " said Yun Jong-Su, the headcoach of DPRK, "This is a hard match and I think the players of Hong Kong team played also very good."

Yun said, "It is difficult to say what we can do in the East Asian Football Championships, but we will surely prepare very well for next year's tournament. We will try hard to play a good result. "

Early on Sunday, the Chinese Taipei team upset Macao, China 7-2 to place third of the qualifiers.

Chinese Taipei grabbed a quick lead when striker Huang Wei-Yi scored from close in the second minute, and Feng Pao-Hsing made it 2-0 to help Chinese Taipei lead 2-0 into the second half.

Macao narrowed the gap after Cheung De Sousa opened the score for Macao in the 48th minute but only saw a more aggressive revenge from Chinese Taipei. Kuo Chun-Yi, Chen Po-Liang, Lo Chih- En and his brother Lo Chih-An totally overwhelmed the Macao's defense with their goals.

Leong Chong-In kicked a counter-strike from short range in the 78th minute for Macao, but Lo Chih-En answered with a header in the 90th minute to seal the victory for Chinese Taipei.

Source: Xinhua

People's Daily Online --- http://english.people.com.cn/