Indonesia on Wednesday protested Australia over the summon by the Sydney police on a visiting Indonesian governor to testify at an inquest about the deaths of five Australian journalists in Timor Leste in 1975, state spokesman Dino Pati Djalal said in Jakarta.
Dino said that the protest was launched on Wednesday by the Indonesian embassy in Canberra.
"Indonesian ambassador in Canberra Hamzah Thayeb today launched a strong protest to the Australian government," he told a press briefing here.
The spokesman said that the Indonesian government had been shocked and could not receive the treatment of the Australian authorities to its citizen.
Jakarta Governor Sutiyoso, a former army general, cut short his official trip to Australia and returned home after the voluntary summons in a Sydney hotel by two policemen who barged into his room on Tuesday.
Separately, outside the Australian embassy here in the capital Jakarta, hundreds of people staged a rally, demanding an apology from Australia.
Five Australian journalists were killed in Balibo of Timor Leste in 1975.
Australian side accused the Indonesian military involved in the death, but Indonesia said that the five reporters were trapped in a gun battle between two groups of Timor Leste.
Sutiyoso was accused as one of the members of a special Indonesian operation team that entered Balibo, but he denied it.