Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping




Home >> China
UPDATED: 18:49, April 30, 2007
Chinese foreign ministry confirms release of seven kidnapped workers in Ethiopia
font size    

Seven Chinese workers, kidnapped last Tuesday in an attack on a Chinese oil company in Ethiopia, have been released, Chinese Foreign Ministry confirmed on Monday in a press release.

Survivors of the same attack as well as the bodies of nine victims were flown back to their hometown, central China's Henan Province, by a chartered plane on the same day, said the press release.

Immediately after the incident, the Chinese government set up and sent to Ethiopia an emergency group comprising officials from the Foreign Affairs Ministry, Commerce Ministry and the China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation to organize the rescue work, said the ministry.

The Chinese government expressed gratitude to the Ethiopian government, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and other related sides for their efforts to rescue the seven kidnapped Chinese workers, it added.

Extending greetings to the rescued workers, the ministry also called on overseas Chinese enterprises to fully estimate the risks and intensify their security measures.

At around 6 a.m. local time on Tuesday, about 200 gunmen launched a sudden attack on the premises of the Zhongyuan Petroleum Exploration Bureau under the China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation, located in Abole, a small town about 120 km away from Jijiga, capital of Ethiopia's eastern Somali state.

Nine Chinese workers were killed in the attack and seven others were kidnapped by the gunmen, who also killed 65 Ethiopian employees working for the oil company.

Later on Tuesday in a statement, the rebel group Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF) claimed responsibility for the attack, saying their targets were Ethiopian soldiers guarding the premises.

After days of rescue efforts, the Ethiopia government and the ICRC informed the Chinese side on Sunday that the seven kidnapped workers had been released and were under protection of the Ethiopian government.

Source: Xinhua


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this



   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News
- Kidnapped Chinese workers back home 

- Bodies of Chinese workers killed in Ethiopia flown back home

- Ethiopia, China sign 158 million U.S. dollar telecom expansion agreement

- China steps up safety evaluation for overseas Chinese after Ethiopia killing

- Ethiopian troops start hunt for seized Chinese workers

- Gunmen kill nine Chinese workers in Ethiopia

- China strongly condemns attack on Chinese oil company site in Ethiopia

- Nine Chinese workers killed in attack in Ethiopia's Somalia state

Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.

Dic

Versions:
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved