Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping




Home >> China
UPDATED: 08:05, April 30, 2007
Bodies of Chinese workers killed in Ethiopia flown back home
font size    

The bodies of nine Chinese victims of an attack on a Chinese oil company in Ethiopia were flown back to their hometown, central China's Henan Province, on Monday morning.

The chartered plane of Air China, carrying nine coffins each covered with white peonies, arrived at about 2:30 a.m. at the Xinzheng International Airport, nearly 40 km southeast of the provincial capital of Zhengzhou.

The Ethiopian government and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) informed the Chinese side that the seven Chinese workers have been released and are under protection of the Ethiopian government. The workers are being sent to a safe place and officials of the Chinese embassy to Ethiopia are going to meet them, according to the foreign ministry.

In the attack on the Chinese oil company's premises in the Ogaden region of Ethiopia last Tuesday, seven other Chinese workers were also kidnapped by a group of gunmen of the Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF), who meanwhile killed 65 Ethiopian employees working for the Chinese company.

The kidnappers said "we have released the Chinese at 2:00 pm (1100 GMT) today to the ICRC," Abderahmane Mahdi, the London-based spokesman for the ONLF said.

The ICRC had confirmed the news, saying that the workers had been handed over to them.

"I can confirm that they have been released," an ICRC spokesman told reporters.

Source: Xinhua


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this



   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News
- 'Our firms to stay in Africa'

- China steps up safety evaluation for overseas Chinese after Ethiopia killing

- ZPEB cautions staff against similar attacks

- Ethiopian troops start hunt for seized Chinese workers

- Gunmen kill nine Chinese workers in Ethiopia

- China strongly condemns attack on Chinese oil company site in Ethiopia

- Chinese, Ethiopian FMs hold telephone conversation

- Nine Chinese workers killed in attack in Ethiopia's Somalia state

Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.

Dic

Versions:
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved