Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said on Wednesday the process of the six-party talks on the Korean Peninsula nuclear issue will not come to a halt, pledging that China would continue to promote the process.
In a joint interview with Japanese media prior to his upcoming visit to Japan, Wen said a movement towards denuclearization on the Korean Peninsula was underway, and the six-party talks process would not stop.
"The issue concerns the security and stability of the whole of northeast Asia. The aim of the six-party talks is to realize denuclearization, normalize relations between countries and safeguard lasting peace in the northeast Asia," said Wen when responding to questions on the six-party talks
He said China's position in resolving the Korean Peninsula nuclear issue is "consistent" and "clear". China insists on a peaceful approach, negotiation, dialogue and the promotion of consensus to settle the issue.
"China has always taken an active approach towards the six-party talks and will continue to do so in the future," said Wen. "We will further strengthen contacts and cooperation with the other parties to promote the talks."
He said that provided all the parties make unremitting efforts to strengthen dialogue, contact and consultation, sooner or later solutions will emerge.
On the abduction issue, Wen said China understands and sympathizes with Japan's position on the issue and is willing to help resolve it.
"We note that Japan and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) have started negotiations to normalize relations, which will aid the settlement of the abduction issue," he said.
Wen will start his Japan tour on April 11. This will be the first visit to Japan by the Chinese Premier in seven years.
The sixth round of the six-party talks recessed on March 22. The DPRK delegation refused to resume the talks until funds frozen at Macao's Banco Delta Asia bank had been fully transferred.
A chairman's statement issued on March 22 said the parties listened to reports by the five working groups and discussed the implementation of the initial actions and an action plan for the next phase.
The parties agreed to continue with the six-party talks process and said they would faithfully carry out the commitments made in the Sept. 19 joint statement and the Feb. 13 joint document.