The Chinese female pool player at the center of an alleged sexual harassment scandal that occurred during last December's Asian Games in Doha has dropped her charges of defamation against the country's cue sports authorities, her father confirmed on Monday.
Zhou Mengmeng, 19, had alleged in the lawsuit that the national cue sports administration, which is under the sports ministry, defamed her after she initially made the allegations of sexual harassment in Doha.
"She has handed in a letter of apology to the administration, and we have retracted accusations against the officials," her father, Zhou Ruixin told Xinhua.
"We have had a lot of communications with the administration. There must have been some misunderstandings between us before," added Zhou, who runs 15 pool halls in Shanghai.
Zhou Mengmeng told journalists in Doha that she lost her eight-ball pool semi-final on December 9, 2006 at the Games because she was unable to sleep the night before after her male team mate Tian Pengfei had beaten and harassed her.
However, team officials played down Zhou's allegations at the time, saying she had exaggerated the confrontation and there had been no sexual harassment.
Following an investigation, China's cue sports administration decided in January to ban both players for a year, punishing Zhou for speaking out to the media about the incident.
Zhou's family then filed a lawsuit in Shanghai against the administration.
Zhou Mengmeng said in her letter that she and Tian had "scuffled" following a "verbal conflict" in Doha, and that she now feels "regretful" for quitting her match and violating team rules.
"I am willing to accept any kind of punishment," Zhou said.
"I am only 19 years old, and there is a long way ahead of me. I will work hard to contribute to China's cue sports," she added.
Liu Rongxiao, an official at the cue sports administration, said the door of the national team is still open to Zhou if she meets standards after serving out her one-year ban.