The National Chess Federation of the Philippines (NCFP) will suspend at least five players it found to have been involved in game-fixing activities in a series of tournaments last year, local media reported on Wednesday.
"We'll make the announcement tomorrow (Wednesday)," said NCFP secretary-general Abraham Tolentino after emerging from the NCFP board meeting Tuesday, according to a report by The Philippine Star daily.
Although the NCFP refused to disclose the names of the players, it has previously been reported that former Asian Zonal champion GM-candidates Ronald Dableo and Darwin Laylo and IM Chito Garma were among those in the list.
One of the five will be slapped a one-year suspension while four others will be suspended for six months, according to the NCFP.
The NCFP, however, said those suspended will be allowed to appeal their case.
Three of the accused, in fact, said they'll appeal it and bring the case to the court, said the report.