NATO troops to launch new offensives in spring against Taliban

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) would launch new operations in the spring to fight against Taliban militants in Afghanistan, an ISAF spokesman said Wednesday.

"Working very closely with the Afghan National Security Force, we are planning operations in the spring that will continue the momentum you are currently seeing," Richard Nugee told a press conference.

NATO troops are taking the fight to areas traditionally the Taliban has considered safe, Nugee said, adding "In the spring we will disrupt them on the borders, disrupt them in the sanctuaries and ensure that they do not have the capacity to launch major operations."

About 32,000 NATO troops are deployed in Afghanistan to fight against militants and facilitate reconstruction there.

Due to rising Taliban-linked insurgency, Afghanistan has plunged into the worst spate of violence since the Taliban regime was toppled down five years ago. Over 4,000 persons, mostly Taliban militants, were killed in Afghanistan last year.

Taliban militants are relatively calm in winter as snow covers many regions of this country and brings difficult to their movements. However, the Taliban has vowed to launch more offensives and attacks against NATO and government troops in the coming spring.

Source: Xinhua



People's Daily Online --- http://english.people.com.cn/