Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping
English websites of Chinese embassies




Home >> World
UPDATED: 09:38, November 26, 2006
Roundup: Three Palestinians killed as Israel steps up operation in Gaza
font size    

Three Palestinians have been killed on Saturday in the Gaza Strip as Israel intensifies its military operation, raising the death toll of the week-long offensive here to at least 20 Palestinians.

Medical sources said Saturday that ambulance workers received at the early morning a body of a Palestinian man near Karni commercial crossing, eastern Gaza City, while the identity of the slain is still unknown.

A 22-year-old man, identified as Ala Samir Al-Omari, was also announced dead of wounds he sustained earlier this week in Israeli air strike in the north of Gaza.

Also on Saturday, an Islamic Jihad (Holy War) fighter was killed during an exchange of fire with Israeli troops in the northern Gaza Strip.

Meanwhile, a terrestrial Al-Aqsa TV station for Hamas came under heavy machine-gun fire by Israeli tanks in the northern refugee camp of Jabaliya. The television went off air following the incident.

Palestinian factions on Saturday have called off a ceasefire proposal they offered on Friday because of the ongoing military operations in the north of Gaza.

Spokesmen of various militant groups separately announced they will not maintain truce with Israel as long as the offensive continued. Israel has rejected the proposal on Friday moments after it was presented.

Several factions claimed responsibility on Saturday for carrying out attacks against the Israeli troops operating in northern Gaza. They said their militants have targeted Israeli tanks and bulldozers with anti-tank missiles and land mines.

However, there were no rocket attacks against southern Israel since Friday morning when the factions first offered limited ceasefire.

The ceasefire was declared by Ismail Haneya, leader of Hamas and a local leader of the Islamic Jihad movement. They said the offer was presented to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas who will officially deliver it to the Israelis.

Observers here believe it is possible Israel will accept the ceasefire when it is announced by moderate Abbas.

In the political front, talks on forming the government of national unity are to be resumed with uncertain fate following disagreements between Hamas and Fatah on the political agenda of the government and sharing its portfolios.

On the streets, dozens of security members burnt tires in protest for not receiving complete salaries.

Source: Xinhua


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this


   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News
Dic

Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
Versions:
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved