Soldiers of South Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) exchaged fire briefly in the eastern part of the demilitarized zone (DMZ) Monday evening, the South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said in a statement on Tuesday.
According to the statement, the clash was triggered at 7:35 p.m. (1035 GMT) Monday when DPRK soldiers fired an estimated three bullets toward a South Korean guard post in the eastern part of the DMZ in Yanggu, the Kangwon province. The South Korean soldiers immediately fired six rounds in response.
An earlier news release of the JCS said the DPRK fired two bullets to the South.
Two of the DPRK bullets hit the wall of the South Korean guard post, but left no casualties on South Korean side, the JCS said.
"We demanded an apology from the DPRK via a loundspeaker right after the exchange of fire but there was no response," said JCS Spokesman Col. Ha Doo-chul.
A probe into the shootout will be conducted as the incident is a violation of the armistice, which ended the 1950-1953 Korean War, he said.
The DPRK has made no comment on the reported incident so far.
It is the first of its kind since last October when a DPRK tracer shot triggered a brief shootout in the eastern part of the DMZ.
The two sides had two bloody naval skirmishes in 1999 and 2002 in the controversial inter-Korean western sea border, which resulted in heavy casualties on both sides.
Following the 2000 Inter-Korean summit between then South Korean President Kim Dae-jung and DPRK top leader Kim Jong-il, the clashes along the land border was rare as both sides took measures to ease the military tension.
Under the Armistice Agreement of the Korean War signed in 1953, South Korea and the DPRK separately set the 2-km-broad DMZ along each side of the 248-km-long Military Demarcation Line that divides the two Koreas.
About 1 million armed soldiers of the DPRK and South Korea are deployed along the Military Demarcation Line.