Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy has signed a three-year deal with Real Madrid for a fee reported by Spanish media to be 15 million euros (US$19.12 million).
Following are career highlights of the 30-year-old Dutch World Cup striker:
* Signed by PSV Eindhoven in 1998 for $5 million from Heerenveen. Responded by scoring 31 goals in 34 matches in his first season, the highest in the league and the second highest in Europe. Made his international debut in the same season
* Was sidelined for eight weeks after a knee injury in March 2000 and next month failed a medical when he was set to move to Manchester United. Several days later he damaged a cruciate knee ligament in training that put him out of action for 10 months
* Returned to action in March 2001 and signed a five-year contract with Manchester United the following month for a then British record of 19 million pounds ($35.39 million), having scored 62 goals in 67 league appearances for PSV
* Set a Premier League record in January 2002 by scoring in eight successive games, equalling United's club record for goals in consecutive league matches set by Billy Whelan nearly five decades previously. In March 2002, he became the first United player since Brian McClair in 1988 to top 20 league goals and 30 in all competitions in one season
* Premier League's leading scorer with 25 goals and 44 in all competitions when United won the championship in 2003, he has scored 20 or more in four of his five seasons at Old Trafford. Signed a new contract with United in January 2004 to keep him at the club until 2008
* United's leading scorer in Europe, having overtaken Denis Law's long-standing club record of 30 goals in September 2004, he is fourth in the all-time list in the European Cup with 47
* With fierce competition from Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha, Van Nistelrooy lost his place in the United first team in the second half of last season. Stormed out of United after being omitted from their final league game of the season, but still managed to finish as United's top scorer with 21 league goals to take his overall tally in all competitions to 150.
* Scored only one goal at the World Cup, taking his tally to 28 in 54 games for Netherlands, and was left on the bench during their second-round defeat against Portugal
* After Bayern Munich and Real Madrid expressed their interest, Van Nistelrooy asked to leave United on July 14
Source: China Daily