Indonesian Military (TNI) Commander Air Marshal Djoko Suyanto said there was no heightened tension in regions bordering Timor-Leste following the unrest in the neighboring country.
"We hope the unrest there will not spread or become protracted, " Antara news agency quoted Suyanto as saying. The TNI did not have any interest in the conflict in Timor-Leste, he added.
He said he had discussed the events in Timor-Leste with the Australian military to prevent the unrest from spreading to border areas, and the Australian defense attache in Jakarta was keeping him informed on developments in the former Indonesian province.
On the TNI's readiness to evacuate Indonesians from the neighboring country if the unrest continued, Djoko said the TNI would maintain its present preparedness.
The military has so far helped evacuate some 1,600 Indonesians with two Hercules transport planes of the Indonesian Air Force. The airlifts were conducted on May 27-30.
Indonesia closed all entry points on its border with Timor- Leste on May 27 to prevent an influx of Timor-Leste people.
The entry points would only be opened for Indonesians wishing to seek refugee to Indonesia and foreigners who had obtained stay permits from the Indonesian Embassy in Dili, the Timor-Leste capital.