The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said it would arrange for a South Korean, who has been separated from his family for 28 years, to be reunited with his mother this month, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Thursday.
The head of the DPRK delegation to the inter-Korean ministerial talks on Wednesday sent a telephone message to his South Korean counterpart, informing him that DPRK had "decided to arrange his reunion with his mother," the KCNA said.
South Korea believed that Kim Yong Nam, who disappeared from a beach on South Korea's southwest coast in 1978 at the age of 16, was abducted by the DPRK agents, and asked Pyongyang to confirm it.
During the 18th inter-Korean ministerial talks held in Pyongyang in April, the DPRK informed South Korea that the issue of Kim was under investigation.
"Recently it succeeded in confirming his whereabouts," said the message.
Kim will meet his mother "at a special reunion between separated families and relatives to be held at Mt. Kumgang Resort, prompted by compatriotism and humanitarianism," said the KCNA.
At the 2002 DPRK-Japan summit, the DPRK admitted to having abducted 13 Japanese to train its spies during the 1970s and 1980s, and said that those responsible for the abduction had been punished.
South Korea has estimated that 542 soldiers from the 1950-53 Korean War, and another 486 South Korean civilians are still alive and residing in the DPRK.