Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping

Home >> China
UPDATED: 09:23, June 08, 2006
Public trial begins for owner of flooded mine
font size    

The public trial of the men at the centre of the Daxing Coal Mine tragedy that claimed the lives of more than 100 miners began this week.

Zeng Yungao, owner of the mine, is being tried at Xingning County People's Court in eastern Guangdong Province on charges of bribing government officials to illegally obtain a licence.

A total of 121 miners were killed when the mine, which should have been closed two years previously due to safety problems, became flooded.

Seventeen others will be tried alongside Zeng, most of whom were his subordinates.

Local prosecutors said Zeng offered bribes of 524,000 yuan (US$65,500) and 50,000 Hong Kong dollars (US$6,451) to Hu Jianchang, deputy director general of Guangdong Provincial Administration for Work Safety and other government officials over the past two years, enabling the mine to remain open.

Wu Dashen, a local lawyer, told China Daily that Zeng would be severely punished because he had committed serious crimes.

"Those who are neglecting safe production will be deterred if Zeng is seriously punished according to the law," he said.

Zeng escaped after the incident, and ordered his cronies to destroy the evidence. However, he surrendered himself to police several days later.

The court is due to rule soon, but an official said that due to the complex nature of the case more time is required.

Meanwhile, Guangzhou Intermediate People's Court opened a public hearing last Thursday into Hu Jianchang, the official who accepted the bribes, and 10 other officials. No verdict has been reached.

Last weekend, Guangdong authorities announced they had shut down all coal mines in the province.

Source: China Daily


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this


   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News
- Official goes on trial in connection with mine disaster

- China to straighten out coal mines under construction

Dic

Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved