More than 1,200 people have been treated at the Chinese field hospital since it was erected ten days ago in the Indonesian town of Bantul, which bore the brunt of the May 27 devastating earthquake that killed over 5, 800 people.
Darmo Taruno, 68, has traveled 15 km from his home in the southern part of Bantul to receive treatment on his injured back for the second time Tuesday.
"I was told during my first visit no bones were broken and I got pills. I come here again because I noticed an open wound around my shoulder," he told Xinhua while showing the wound.
Many patients came with dislocated or broken bones, with some having stretcher cases.
50-year-old Melia, lying on a stretcher, was among patients packing the Chinese makeshift hospital Tuesday.
"I was denied a place in the Panti Rapih Hospital in Yogyakarta because it was already understaffed and overwhelmed by patients. The hospital could only receive emergency cases," she said.
"A relative of mine told me about this field hospital but suggested I first take an X-ray photograph before coming here. I did," she said.
The hospital has performed at least two major surgeries to plant metal stick inside broken legs.
Sadi Sumanto, 63, was very happy to know that a makeshift hospital had been set up only several meters from his home.
The elderly man broke his right shinbone during the disaster and was first treated at a small clinic nearby.
"This hospital appears to have better equipment. Besides, they don't charge me for anything," he said on his wheelchair.
There are also many patients with diseases unrelated to the earthquake impacts, such as cold and headache.
The 40-strong Chinese medical team, which comprises mostly members of the China International Search and Rescue Team, will stay in Bantul for another ten days.