More than 130,000 under-five-year-old children in earthquake-affected areas in Indonesia have been vaccinating on Wednesday in an attempt to prevent measles outbreak in the aftermath of the powerful earthquake occurred on May 27.
The mass immunization was conducted by the Indonesian health ministry with the assistance of UNICEF and the World Health Organization (WHO), David Hipgrave, head of the UNICEF's health and nutrition section, said earlier.
The vaccination drive was launched in refugee camps in 162 villages which had been hit by the deadly quake, which killed at least 5,800 people and injured more than 37,000 others.
Official sources said, youths and adults from 15 years old to 60 years old in the quake-devastated areas will also be given tetanus vaccination. UNICEF will provide tetanus vaccines, which are expected to be imported from India.
In the quake's aftermath, children were prone to diseases, especially measles, as they consumed inadequate nutrition and lived in cramped tents, therefore they need to get immunization as soon as possible, according to a UNICEF press statement.