Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping

Home >> World
UPDATED: 09:34, June 02, 2006
Court overturns 9/11 conviction
font size    

Spain's Supreme Court yesterday overturned an al-Qaida suspect's conviction for conspiracy to commit murder in the September 11 terrorist attacks, weeks after prosecutors acknowledged the case against him was weak.

The high court threw out a 15-year sentence against Syrian-born Imad Yarkas for conspiracy to commit murder in the airliner attacks in the United States, but upheld a 12-year sentence he received for belonging to a terror organization.

It also confirmed the acquittal of three other suspects accused of belonging to or collaborating with al-Qaida. They had already been released in April at the request of prosecutors. They are Moroccans Driss Chebli, Sadik Merizak and Abdelaziz Benyaich.

The court announced only its verdicts in Yarkas' appeal and the other cases, not its specific grounds for the decisions. The reasoning is expected to be released in a few days, court officials said.

Yarkas is alleged to have founded and led an al-Qaida cell in Spain, which investigators say was a staging ground for the attacks, along with Germany. He was one of 18 people found guilty of terrorism charges in a trial that ended in September of last year. But prosecutors in April had asked the court to overturn his conviction in the US attacks, citing a lack of evidence.

A three-judge Spanish panel at a lower court that handed down the ruling against Yarkas in September said he was innocent of a more serious charge of being accomplice to mass murder, but guilty of "conspiracy with the suicide terrorist" Mohamed Atta and other members of the Hamburg, Germany-based cell that staged the September 11 attacks.

Source: China Daily


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this


   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News
Dic

Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved