Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping

Home >> World
UPDATED: 19:14, May 06, 2006
Egyptian police identify suicide bombers in Sinai blasts
font size    

The Egyptian police have identified the two suicide bombers who blew themselves up last month in north Sinai peninsula targeting foreign forces, the official MENA news agency reported on Saturday.

The two bombers were identified as Salman Mohamed Saleem, 19, and Eid Hammad al-Tarawi, 25, according to the report.

The two April 26 suicide bombings targeted a convoy of the Multinational Forces and Observers (MFO) and a police vehicle in north Sinai and killed only the bombers themselves.

The MFO base was located in al-Gurah, 30 km southeast of al- Arish on the Mediterranean coast of the Sinai peninsula, which is very close to the border of Egypt and the Palestinian Gaza Strip.

The suicide bombings came two days after triple deadly bomb attacks in the southern Sinai resort of Dahab, which killed 19 people and wounded over 90 others.

The Egyptian authorities said the Gurah bombings were linked to the Dahab blasts.

According to MENA, Mohamed Saleem was a brother of Salman Saleem and also a cousin of Saleem Ata, both of whom were wanted for involvement in the Dahab bombings.

Mohamed Saleem was identified by his father, said MENA, adding that the second bomber, al-Tarawi, was identified by the wife of a wanted fugitive, despite his brothers' denial.

Mohamed Saleem espoused the ideology of the Tawheed and Jihad group (Unification and Holy War), which the Egyptian authorities said was behind the bombings in Dahab and Gurah as well as two other previous bomb attacks in popular Red Sea reorts of Taba and Sharm el-Sheikhr.

On Oct. 7, 2004, a series of explosions rocked Taba, killing 34 people and injuring more than 100 others.

On July 23, 2005, three bomb explosions hit Sharm el-Sheikh, leaving at least 60 people dead.

From north to south, Taba, Dahab and Sharm el-Sheikh were all popular Red Sea resorts on the eastern side of Sinai.

The MFO is an independent peacekeeping mission created as a result of the 1978 Camp David Accords and the 1979 peace treaty between Egypt and Israel.

Various nations have contributed military and civilian personnel to the mission.

Currently, the MFO maintained a 1,800-strong force from a total of 11 countries, namely, Australia, Canada, Colombia, Fiji, France, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, the United States and Uruguay.

Source: Xinhua


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this


   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News
- Egyptian police clash with militants in Sinai, 4 killed

- Egypt reveals identity of Sinai blasts mastermind

- Egypt releases Al-Jazeera TV correspondent

- Egypt arrests Cairo bureau chief of al-Jazeera TV


Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved