Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping

Home >> World
UPDATED: 09:56, March 26, 2006
Sudan slams UN resolution on takeover of peacekeeping mission in Darfur
font size    

Sudan blasted on Saturday a UN resolution on a speed-up of sending international troops to Sudan's volatile western Darfur region to replace the African Union (AU) peacekeeping forces.

Sudanese Foreign Minister Lam Akol told reporters that the UN Security Council resolution indicated a UN's wrong reading on a recent decision taken by the AU Peace and Security Council, which, he said, required the 7,800-strong African forces to extend mandate until Sept. 30.

Ghazi Salahuddin, advisor of the Sudanese president, also criticized the UN resolution, describing it would complicate a political settlement of the Darfur crisis and worsen humanitarian and security situations in the region.

At a press conference, Salahuddin reiterated his government's refusal to turn over the Darfur issue to the Security Council because "internationalizing the crisis is disadvantageous to the Darfur people."

He said that turning the issue to the Security Council was pushed by the conservatives in the U.S. administration due to political motives.

The UN Security Council resolution has called for faster preparations for the AU to hand over its peacekeeping mission in Darfur to UN forces.

The resolution was unanimously adopted by the 15-nation Council on Friday and gave UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan until April 24 to prepare a range of options for a United Nations operation in Darfur.

UN officials and council diplomats acknowledged they could not send in UN troops or even an assessment team to help in the planning without the approval of the Sudanese government, and they encouraged Khartoum to cooperate in an eventual transition.

The AU currently maintains some 7,800-strong forces in Darfur to observe a shaky cease-fire agreement reached between the Sudanese government and Darfur rebels in April, 2004.

The AU Darfur force has been constrained by poor funding and has been unable to contain the volatile situation in Darfur.

Sudan has been opposed to the hand-over plan, saying that it would support the transition to the UN after a peace deal has been reached with all the Darfur rebel groups.

Clashes flared up in Darfur in February 2003 when local farmers took up arms against the Sudanese government, accusing it of neglecting the barren area. Thousands of people have been killed and more displaced in the violence.

Rounds of peace talks between the Sudanese government and Darfur rebels in Abuja have failed to yield fruits so far.

Source: Xinhua


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this


   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News
- AL chief stresses support for extending African peacekeeping mandate in Sudan's Darfur

- UN envoy calls for stronger peacekeeping mission in Darfur

- Egypt welcomes AU decision to turn over Darfur peacekeeping to UN

- News Analysis: AU makes compromise on Darfur mission


Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved