Newsletter
Weather
Community
English home Forum Photo Gallery Features Newsletter Archive   About US Help Site Map
China
World
Opinion
Business
Sci-Edu
Culture/Life
Sports
Photos
 Services
- Newsletter
- Online Community
- China Biz Info
- News Archive
- Feedback
- Voices of Readers
- Weather Forecast
 RSS Feeds
- China 
- Business 
- World 
- Sci-Edu 
- Culture/Life 
- Sports 
- Photos 
- Most Popular 
- FM Briefings 
 Search
 About China
- China at a glance
- China in brief 2004
- Chinese history
- Constitution
- Laws & regulations
- CPC & state organs
- Ethnic minorities
- Selected Works of Deng Xiaoping

Home >> World
UPDATED: 09:56, March 01, 2006
U.S. intelligence chief terms Dubai ports deal low risk
font size    

The operation of some terminals of six U.S. ports by a United Arab Emirates company poses a low threat to the American national security, John Negroponte, director of national intelligence, said Tuesday.

The intelligence community was tasked to scrutinize the proposed takeover of London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company by the UAE-based Dubai Ports World last November, and assessed the threat to U.S. national security, Negroponte said at a hearing of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

"On the basis of our inquiry we assess that the threat to U.S. national security posed by DP World to be low," he said.

"We didn't see any red flags come up during the course of our inquiry," said Negroponte.

Under the deal, approved by the Bush administration in January, Dubai Ports World was originally scheduled to take over the operation of some terminals of six U.S. key ports, including New York, Miami and New Orleans, on March 2.

The 6.8 billion-U.S. dollar deal has sparked a debate on port security. Some lawmakers have said they would introduce legislation in Congress to block the deal if a broader review of the deal was not conducted, and President George W. Bush has threatened to veto any bill that seek to derail the transaction.

Dubai Ports World announced late last week it would delay the takeover of the British company's operation of the U.S. ports, and on Monday, it requested the administration to conduct a 45-day security review, in an effort to address the concerns of lawmakers.

Source: Xinhua


Comments on the story Comment on the story Recommend to friends Tell a friend Print friendly Version Print friendly format Save to disk Save this


   Recommendation
- Text Version
- RSS Feeds
- China Forum
- Newsletter
- People's Comment
- Most Popular
 Related News
- Bush vows to allow Arabian takeover of U.S. ports

- White House 'struck secret deal' with UAE firm over ports

- Bush remains supportive of port deal


Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
Copyright by People's Daily Online, all rights reserved